Labradoodle Rescue & Goldendoodle Rescue
Doodles have received so much positive press lately and many people believe they are the perfect dogs. While they make wonderful companions, they are not for everyone.
These are some important considerations before you add a doodle to your family.
1. If you want a golden retriever or a lab that does not shed, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Most doodles shed to some degree and those that do not, do not look like either of these parent dogs. Doodles who do have non-shedding coats require a couple of hours of maintenance per week, and professional grooming every 6-8 weeks, just like purebred poodles.
2. If you are just not a poodle person, DON'T GET A DOODLE. All doodles are at least 50% poodle so if the word Poodle makes you cringe, then do not get a doodle.
3. If you are allergic to dogs, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles go through coat changes and even if you are not allergic to your doodle's puppy coat, you may be allergic to his adult coat. Doodles have been deemed hypoallergenic by the media, but for most, this is not the case.
4. If you want a clean dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Many doodles love water, mud, and rolling in smelly things. Their coats can be like velcro and will collect twigs, dirt, burrs, leaves, etc.
5. If you want a low-energy dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Most doodles require at least 30 - 60 minutes of real exercise per day. Simply letting your doodle out in the backyard, or taking a walk around the block is not exercise. These dogs need to run. There are plenty of low-energy dog breeds that would be a better fit if you want a couch potato.
6. If you can't devote time and money into training, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles are intelligent and want to please you, but they are not born with manners.
7. If you want an independent dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles thrive on human companionship and most are velcro dogs. They need your attention and will demand it.
8. If you want the perfect dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. There is no such thing as a perfect dog, and just like other breeds, doodles can have a wide variety of temperaments and health issues.
If you are still interested in a doodle, that's great! But keep in mind that some of the pre-conceived notions touted by the media that have made doodles so popular are also reasons why so many of these dogs are abandoned by their owners. A doodle can be a wonderful dog and will provide you with unconditional love but you must consider if this is the right type of dog for you. Please do not break your doodle's heart.