Hi, I'm new here so hopefully I'm doing this correctly. I just adopted my first doodle from a shelter in Southern Ohio- a week ago tonight. I've noticed over the past couple days her behavior has changed. She's about 19 weeks old & were still working on potty training. What's changed is that now when I leave her in a room (for instance the kitchen while I go upstairs to get my kids pajamas) she will urinate at the gate or door or whatever keeps her from me. It doesn't matter if my Golden is in the room with her or even tonight my parents & children were there & she still went when I was out of her sight. I've never experienced this before & was wondering if anyone could help?!

Tags: ASPCA, DRC, DRC Inc, HSUS, Separation, adopt a dog, animal rescue, animal shelter, anxiety, dodlerescuecollectiveinc.org, More…dog rescue, doodle, doodle rescue, doodlekisses.com, doodlerescue.org, doodlerescuecollective.com, doodlerescuecollective.org, doodles in need, goldendoodle, goldendoodle rehome, goldendoodle rescue, humane society, labradoodle, labradoodle rehome, labradoodle rescue, non-profit, original and only doodle rescue collective, petfinder, petfinder.com, puppy mill awareness, rescue collective, rescue resource collective, rescued

Views: 275

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How often are you taking her outside to potty?   Are you going out with her each time to make sure she potties while she is outside.   Are you crate training?  Are you using a product such as Natures's Miracle to get rid of the odors from previous potties (this is very important).  If they can smell it they will continue to potty inside.  Also, if it has only been a week she is still really adjusting to you and the routine.  I've noticed when I've had fosters that they are stuck to me like glue for the first couple weeks, then they start settling in and becoming more independent.  I would just make you are are following all the potty training guidelines and hopefully as she gets more comfortable the separation anxiety will go away.
Hi, thank you for responding! Depends on the day but every couple of hours & she asks to go. I walk her out since I do not trust her to be comfortable enough in our fenced yard yet. I am crate training at night & briefly during the day. I am at home with her all day and so far as soon as I'm out of her sight she begins to cry and bark. I have crated her during the day while vacuuming or doing housework so she sees that I leave her sight but come right back. When she urinates after I leave a room it is always right after Ive taken her out. Sometimes its so soon Im amazed she even has anything left to go on the floor. At night shes in my bedroom & has improved greatly over the past week at night. (6-8 hours before potty break & little to no whining after shes crated. I guess my real concern is because my husband isnt as understanding as I & Im trying to help her before the situation or dependency gets worse. I understand that there's an adjustment period for everyone & I'll do whatever for her. I'm just worried since as the days go by she seems to be getting more dependent vs. Independent. Almost forgot- it's not Natures Miracle but it is an enzyme based cleaner that I use. 
Hopefully some of the experts on rescues will chime in here, because I'm far from an expert, but it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.  If she doesn't urinate in the crate, I think that I would probably use the crate a little more.  You could also try teathering her to you with a leash so that she is always with you and doesn't have the opportunity to potty.  It is a little inconvenient, but I would either have her teathered or crated when you can't be completely focused on her.   Right now I think that I would personally focus on the potty training and I think that the she will in time hopefully get over her separation issues.  You have to think that for one so young she has had a pretty rough start in life.  Who knows what conditions she was raised in, then she was shuffled into a animal shelter (and I use that term shelter loosly) and now she is with you.  Also, if hubby isn't totally on board, she is going to sense that and she is going to stick to you even more.  Even here where my husband loves on the fosters just as much as I do, they normally are stuck to me like glue for the first couple weeks.  Also, if the potties continue almost like she has no control or are too frequent you might ask the vet to check for a UTI.  The few times I had potty issues when mine were little that is what it was.  Hang in there, give her a whole lot of lovin and hopefully she will learn that she is in a secure environment and begin to settle in.  P.S.  How about some pictures.
Hi, thank you for responding! I've responded below explaining all issues/changes so far. I'm trying to upload pictures but I keep sending them from my phone per the site & nothing ever uploads... As soon as I figure it out I will- she's toocute not to share!

Christina:  I am presently fostering a 2-3 year old rescue who I have been told suffers from separation anxiety, too.  I'm not sure what I am about to tell you will help or not, but I wanted to relate my experience.  Chance was originally adopted for about 3 months.  Apparently his adoptive mother brought him back because of his anxiety issues (or so she said).  Chance is great.  He's housebroken, obedience trained (as best I can tell because I've only had him a little over a week).  I initially tried crating him but he barked and cried so much, and since I live in a condo, that wasn't going to work.  However, I have 2 of my own dogs and, as long as Chance is left with them in the house, he doesn't cry, he doesn't wreak anything. When he's adopted there will have to be another dog in the household for him to feel comfortable when his owners leave.  Chance, too, sticks with my like glue (not exactly the term I use but will have to do for the PG version).  If I go into the bathroom he lays on the floor, upstairs: he's upstairs.  However, this is my 3rd foster, and I agree with the statment that all rescues do this in the beginning.  Your dog is also very young, which adds additional problems.  I raised my goldendoodle from a pup and believe me I had so many issues with him until he turned 3 that I didn't think he would live that long.  So I guess what I'm saying is you are really dealing with a couple of different problems that seem to be overlapping.  I would continue the crate, I would walk out of the room or house while she's in the crate to see what she does and for how long.  They are like kids, they are going to cry for a while and then when no one responds, they'll quit.  There are some homeopathic anxiety relievers that you might find at a doggy day care like Rescue Relief, etc.  which is suppose to calm them down when they begin to get anxious.  It's a tough road, I'm not going to kid you.  But these dogs are well worth your time and efforts.  Particularly when they turn 2-3 and become different dogs.  If I can help any more please let me know. 

Christina if you haven't already, join doodle kisses, you will find lots of doodle owners with tons of information. There may even be a group dedicated to separation issues.
Thank you I will!
Could someone else take her out and provide her care some of the time so that she can bond with more than just you?
Hi, not usually. I'm at home with 2 toddlers & my husband works long hours. We did take a "pack walk" last night & my husband walked her. She's learning how to walk on a leash so it's a little rough during the walk but she was very calm & relaxed afterwards. Plus my husband was able to bond with her. 

hi Christina,

Just checking in to see how things are going? I hope that time has lessened her separation anxiety.

A

Well where do I start......she's on vitamin c to help her kidneys since per the vet her kidneys are not keeping up with her growth & causing diluted urine & a lot more than normal amounts of it. She had a blocked saliva gland so she just finished antibiotics only to come down with puppy vaginitis (possibly from being spayed at the shelter) so now were on round 2 of antibiotics. 
Behavior wise she still carries on constantly & wets herself in her crate when I leave for errands or when she's gated but separated from me (we have doggy diapers for her during the day) until the weather turned we were going on at least 1 pack walk a day - which seems to help. She also does fine in the crate in our bedroom at night as long as everyone goes to bed at the same time as her. 
I've also discovered that she's terrified of her reflection, car headlights, cut grass & lawn mowers (even across the street)
All that being said- she's quickly become awesome with my 2 small children, I've never had to correct her when taking food or a treat from me, she learns tricks in a few repititions, & loves my golden retriever. 
So we're taking it one day at a time. 

Charli had puppy vaginitis too. Had to go through several rounds of antibiotics until it cleared up all by itself. I think she 'just grew out of it' when she got older. When I got her, she was supposedly 9.5 weeks old (I think younger but..) and she had already been spayed and had a hernia repaired. MUCH MUCH TOO YOUNG but I didn't do it.

She has come such a long way since you brought her home! Kudos to you!!!

She is afraid of cut grass?

How does she do when she meets other dogs on your walks? Afraid of them? If it is only her reflection, I would try putting a mirror on the ground, put those high value treats in a path up to the mirror. And when she gets to the mirror, give her lots of treats - let her associate her reflection with treats. She may never love her reflection but hopefully she will not be terrified of it.

You are a fantastic DM!!!!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Jacquie Yorke - DRC Director.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service