Does everyone remember Dixie? She was rescued from a horrific neglect situation in Alabama in 2010.

Well, her wonderful family posted their yearly "Dixie Update this morning with new pictures! take a look at our Dixie now!

DIXIE'S STORY

My heart is sad tonight after seeing the pictures of a sweet 1 yr old black fleecy labradoodle I've been arranging to bring into our adoption program. She came from a "rescuer" in rural Alabama who has had Dixie for the past 5 months, the past 5 months Dixie has gone from a happy sweet doodle pup to a sad suffering doodle banned to living outdoors because the "rescuers" couldn't be bothered to teach her potty manners. These "rescuers" didn't get this girl vaccinated or heartworm treated and watched as she slowly scratched her painful skin and watched her beautiful fleecy locks fall out.

Our foster Kristen Fuhrman (who herself is a well respected doodle breeder) went to the home and found Dixie locked in a large 40x40' pen with 5 other dogs. Her skin is covered with sores and her hair is lost in large sheets. This sweet girl came readily to Kristen despite the pain I'm sure she feels as she moves. We sent her immediately to the vet hospital where our suspicions were confirmed, this sweet doodle girl is covered with Sarcoptic Mange. She is getting treatment for the next 2 weeks at the vet hospital until she will not be contagious to humans and other dogs.

I'm posting some pictures of her, they are difficult to look at. However we need to see this poor girl as she is today. We can only hope she recovers quickly and her sweet soul hasn't born the pain of the abuse she has suffered at the hands of a woman who has the audacity to call herself a "rescuer".
We have given Dixie a new name (she was Midnight in her prior setting) and we hope she will be a strong southern girl who will rise and overcome the abuse she has suffered at the hands of humans.

Dixie and Kristan

From this view you can't even determine whether this poor animal is a dog.

Tags: abuse, animal, dog, doodle, labradoodle, mange, rescue

Views: 3587

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's my annual Dixie update.  She is doing great.  Finally getting used to our close friends.  Dixie and Yogi and inseparable.  She is a happy girl and brings us much joy!  Thank you DRC!  Merry Christmas!

Attachments:

This does my heart so much good, Marcia! She looks wonderful! Tahnk you for all the love and care you have given her, and for posting this update!

What a wonderful update!  Thank you for sharing new pictures - it's hard to imagine these pictures are of the same doodle.  This brings a smile to my day.

Seeing these wonderful updated photos just makes my Christmas happier.  I am glad to hear that  she is so loved. She deserves that. Thank you so much for posting.  If you click on the second icon that looks like a picture, you could imbed the photos directly.  Here is one of her.

HOLY MOLY!! Hard to believe how much she has changed and what a gorgeous color!!

Amazing transformation! Thank you so much for the update Marcia. She is GORGEOUS! I updated the discussion and put the photos in at the top.

It really is wonderful to see the transformation in Dixie! It shows the hope these dogs deserve to have! Love and Care can be such amazing, life-giving things. I'm so happy for her, and for her new owners who must be so proud of the part they play in her growing love of living.

wow.  It is hard to believe that those pictures are even of the same dog. 

Here's my yearly Dixie update.  The frightened little girl is making remarkable progress.  We had a dog counselor show us how to work with her.  We had Christmas at our house yesterday and she loved all of the attention she got (especially when Yogi showed her it was okay).

Here is a photo of them on their favorite spot on the deck.  We love her more than ever.  Thank you Doodle Rescue!  Marcia & Jim & Yogi

LOVE this! Thank you for updating us! 

Wow, amazing progress. Thanks for your patience with her!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Jacquie Yorke - DRC Director.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service