I never met Nietzsche. His mom adopted him from a rescue in California. Not much was known about Nietzsche or his brother, who was found running loose with him. It was thought they may have been dumped out in the country by a BYB because they didn't sell as puppies. Nietzsche was much thinner than his brother.

Nietzsche's adoptive mom contacted the DRC for help with behavioral & health issues, and because I have experience with the kind of health problems he was displaying, I offered to try to help. His mom found a new vet who seemed more knowledgable, and got a preliminary diagnosis of megaesophagus, which I suspected. The new vet started him on a better diet and recommended a new feeding method, and Nietzsche seemed better. Plans were made for testing.

This morning I got word that after his conditioned worsened, tests revealed that Nietzsche's megaesophagus was much more severe than anyone imagined, and he was starving to death. There was nothing to be done for him. He was humanely euthanized. His mom is heartbroken.
My heart is breaking for both of them.
Rest in peace, sweet boy. Your suffering is over now.

Views: 464

Replies to This Discussion

I know that you are so upset right now Kar and I hope that you made it home safe because you were inconsolable on the phone........Devastating...I know that you provided Nietzsche's mom with total unconditional support, advice, veterinary info, and most importantly comfort, friendship and a shoulder to cry on.

I was crying myself after speaking with you on the phone....I know how hard Nietzsche's mom tried to give him a normal, healthy and happy life...and I know how much she adored and loved him. He was a special soul. I can't imagine what and how she is feeling right now.

Reading this here brought tears to my eyes again....

Please extend DRCs heartfelt condolences to Nietzche's mom. Please tell her we are all here to comfort and support her in any way that we can.

and you too my friend....(my "touchstone")

I am so sorry that you are grieving....
Oh Karen, I'm so sorry. I read this and then went and hugged my Doods. You have been so personally invested in trying to help this special Doodle and his Mom. I know he reminded you of JD, and I'm sure that makes this all even harder. I am relieved that he is no longer suffering and is at peace. His eyes are amazing...almost soulful and wise. I can only hope that now he's in a better place. I wish I was there to give you a hug (and a glass of wine).
Thank you both. It's funny how how you can get so emotionally attached to a dog you've never met. I have a special affinity for the ones who drew the short straw in life, I guess.
I'm comforted by the fact that at least he had these few months of being loved and cared for; he was just adopted in April. Before that, it seems he'd never had a kind word or touch from a human being, or even a comfortable place to sleep, in his entire short life. It's a terrible thing for his mom, but I think she was meant to find him just so he could know what it was to be loved and treated the way every dog deserves to be treated before he died. He wasn't alone, and he left something behind, someone will remember him and miss him. I told her that someday, he'll greet her at the Rainbow Bridge and tell her how grateful he is for having had her.
Gotta go hug a big fuzzy goofball now.
Karen,
I have thanked, but I can never really thank you enough for your thoughtfulness and compassion. In writing Nietzsche's memorial, you have given me a gift that along with Nietzsche, I will cherish. Your advice and support helped me immensely, and even more importantly, you helped Nietzsche. I go to his memorial often and have shared it with many friends, some mine and some exclusively Nietzsche's. This is a small chapter of Nietzsche's story.
I hope one of these days you will be up to telling more of Nietzsche's story, Christine. His gentle nature, his bond with you. Your new boy Camus has some big footsteps to follow. Hugs to you.
Nietzsche's story

On Saturday, April 3, 2010, I adopted him. A beautiful, scruffy, sweet, sensitive, gentle, oh-so-smart, and happy Doodle -- Nietzsche. On Monday, July 19, 2010, Nietzsche was gone. His life was short; he was only 14 months old.

Nietzsche was sick, diagnosed with megaesophagus and he suffered from extreme separation anxiety, as well. Had I known about his medical and behavioral problems, most likely I would not have adopted him. I am so glad I did not know, because Nietzsche was a special, wonderful and unique Doodle boy and I was lucky to have him in my life, if only for a short time.

His fear of being left alone was extreme, so extreme that he could only focus on 'getting out', away from where he was, attempting to find comfort from anyone. Crating was not an option (unless the door was open and I was home) as that seemed to frighten him even more. He was unable to cope with isolation. Left alone, uncrated, had disastrous results. I arrived home to find him tangled in a widow blind. He was so desperate that he tried to get out through every window.

I never left him alone again, from that moment Nietzsche became my constant companion, – my little shadow. He went to work with me and happily became a member of the Maple physics Lab. His anxiety intensified our bond and one might even say. that for Nietzsche, having such severe separation anxiety was good, because it helped set the stage for the last few months of his life to be spent with those who loved him and for him to be happy.

He was a smart boy, and did not need to be leashed while on campus as he stayed close to me and was in a safe environment. He walked by my side, occasionally stopping to say hello to anyone who acknowledged him. For Nietzsche, socialization was natural, he loved people, and they were drawn to him. He touched people in a way that I have never experienced before. Every day, as we walked across campus, hands would extend, if only to graze lightly over his head, smiles would appear on otherwise serious looking faces, strangers would stop to talk, and Nietzsche just seem to glow.

One day a young man thanked me for letting him pet Nietzsche, adding that he felt much better, and I began to think that once Nietzsche felt better I would train him to become a therapy dog. Despite his diagnosis, I was hopeful, certain that even if there was no cure, his condition could be managed with medication and appropriate feeding.

It was heart wrenching to see him in pain and becoming more weak day by day. Mild forms of megaesophagus can be managed, but Nietzsche had an added complication of a stricture where the esophagus joins the stomach that prevented him from getting adequate nutrition. Eating was so difficult for him, but he always tried.

What was so amazing was that despite his poor health he was happy! In true doodle form, he loved to give kisses, cuddle, and give endearing gentle little nibbles. However, his nibbles were reserved for a select few.

He did not have much energy and slept much of the day, but once rested he ran, played and goofed off with joy. At times, watching him I was almost sure he was really okay and that he would be cured. He always had a burst of energy near the end of the work day and would tug at me, nudge me with his nose, and then in desperation put his paws in my lap, his face directly in front of mine to block my view of the computer screen – as if to say "enough already it is time to play!" and nibble. He even adjusted to his new and strange dinet without a fuss. He was happy.

I am heartbroken, but Karen – your kindness, your compassion and your memorial for Nietzsche has helped. And, I cannot forget the many others who have expressed their sympathy and sent notes with kind words. A co-worker and friend wrote, "I just loved visiting your office and seeing his precious face. He is a dear soul, and always will be. I use to see the two of you walking on campus, and he literally was in heaven when he was at your side. The pictures of him on the link (DoodoleKisses) reminded me of that sweet countenance. You really did bring sunshine into his life.......and he to yours."

I miss him terribly, but it would have been selfish to prolong his misery. Although he was with me for a short time, I have many memories him that I will cherish forever. Nietzsche was the most wonderful gift I have ever received!

And, in a way Nietzsche has given me a gift – His name is Camus!

I will always love and remember my little Nietzsche and love his 'gift' as well.

This is a lovely memorial. It emphasizes the power love has and enriches both the one who gives and the one who receives. Thank you for sharing.
Such a warm and beautiful sentiment. Thank you!
Thank you so much for sharing Nietzsche's story with us. It certainly shows the power of love. You brought him happiness. Although it was only for a short time, I'm sure to him it was an eternity. He crossed the bridge having experienced the peace and joy he so deserved. Thank you so much....
Thank you Karen and Christine for such a moving memorial to Nietzche. While his time here was short his love for you was enormous. And the love and devotion he gave you was so pure. I'm so glad you both found each other, and I'm so glad Nietzche has sent you Camus.
Thank you Liz for helping to make Nietzsche's gift a reality. Camus is his own spirit, but Nietzsche's memory lives on through him.
Nietzsche was a special little Doodle who touched many and continues to. It was and still is difficult for me to write about him, which is why I did not add to his memorial sooner. I wanted so badly for him to be well. He deserved a better life. Thank you both.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Jacquie Yorke - DRC Director.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service